Homeowners Insurance Policy Forms and Coverage

With home insurance the perils covered (losses covered) can vary from insurance company to insurance company, but follow the outline of Broad or Open Perils for the structure. This outline is a good starting point to understand your home insurance, but you should always read the policy. It’s easier than you would think and can avoid surprises later.

The typical HO-A or ISO HO-1 policy which are broad form policies Cover the following Perils.

  • Fire and lighting
  • Windstorm an Hail
  • Explosion
  • Riot or Civil Commotion
  • Aircraft
  • Vehicles
  • Smoke
  • Vandalism and Mischief
  • Theft
  • Volcanic Eruption

By endorsement and extra premium often Accidental Discharge or overflow of water/steam can be added.

In addition to the above perils, the Open perils which offers more coverage, and are standard on the HO-B and ISO HO-3, as well as many individual insurance companies modified forms.

  • Accidental Discharge or overflow of water/steam
  • Falling Objects
  • Weight of ice, snow, sleet
  • Cracking, bulging of heating and A/C system
  • Freezing
  • Damage from artificially generated current
  • Risk of Loss with exclusions (in other words they cover losses unless its excluded.)

The website below can guide you to compare policy forms among companies. NOTE: I have found many errors so use it as guide and ask your agent to clarify if need be.


p: (512) 649-8191

f: (512) 535-0495


12600 Hill Country Blvd. Suite R-275
Austin, TX 78738